Questions about the way your personal information is used and what your rights are in relation to it.
Who will control my personal information?
Under the Data Protection (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law 2001 we have to tell you who the Data Controllers of your personal information are. The Data Controllers determine the purposes for which and the way in which your personal information is used.
Nordben Life and Pension Insurance is a Data Controller.
Some products and services are provided in association with a third party and in which case that third party could also be a Data Controller.
How is my personal information used?
Nordben Life and Pension Insurance will use the information in your or your employer’s pension or insurance application for setting up, processing and administering the arrangement. In the case of a Unit Linked arrangement personal information is passed to a third party administrator, presently Carey Pensions Administration Limited (“CPAL”) who will use the information to process and administer the arrangement. Our third party service providers and our associated companies may have access to your data in order for us to provide services to you. The necessary arrangements are however in place to ensure the protection of your personal data and to ensure it is not processed in any way contrary to the purpose for which you have provided it.
All personal information is processed in accordance with the Data Protection (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law 2001.
Thus, Nordben and any third party will only use information for the purpose outlined above.
Is my Employer a Data Controller?
An employer collects personal data about their staff for a multitude of purposes, only one of which will be the provision of insurance cover for its employees. When an employer applies to Nordben Life and Pension for that cover, we decide our data requirements and how the data will be processed, to provide and administer the arrangement. In the context of Guernsey Law, Nordben and your employer are Data Controllers.
How will my health details be used?
If you or your employer have applied for certain types of insurance you may have had to give details of your state of health.
Your state of health and other details (for example, reports from a Doctor) may have been used to decide whether and on what terms to offer insurance. It will also be used to process claims that are made. For these purposes your health and other details may be disclosed to Nordben Life and Pension Insurance’s Consultant Medical Officer, to third party life reinsurers and third party administrators who are instructed to arrange medicals and tests etc., and to return the results to Nordben Life and Pension Insurance.
What happens when I make a claim for disability?
If you make a disability claim, Nordben Life and Pension Insurance may:
- obtain further information about your physical or mental health
- obtain information about your past and concurrent claims from and share it with other third party insurers. This includes medical information. This may be used to assess the extent and the validity of the claim, to enable the sharing of the medical evidence and for general administrative purposes
- pass your details to third parties (e.g. claims administrators and occasionally private investigators) whom we instruct to assess certain aspects of your claim
- obtain any other information we require (sharing your details where necessary) in order to assess your claim
- obtain information from your employer to assess the particular claim. This information may include details of earnings, benefits and occupational duties.
What about Direct Marketing?
Your personal information will not be used for marketing purposes without your explicit consent. Your medical details will not be used for marketing purposes.
Is there anything else I need to know?
Nordben is registered in accordance with the Data Protection (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law 2001. Details of our registration are available on-line at http://www.dpr.gov.gg/.
The European Commission has decided that Guernsey should be regarded as providing an adequate level of protection for personal data. Details of this decision can be found on-line at
Your personal information will be used by Nordben Life and Pension Insurance to administer your or your employer’s insurance arrangement.
If Nordben Life and Pension Insurance loses contact with you, (for instance, if you do not make a claim when it is due) they may pass sufficient details to a third party so that they can help trace you.
Telephone calls may be recorded or monitored for security or training purposes.
What are my Data Protection rights?
Under the Law, you have the right to see the personal data (as defined in Law) that any Data Controller holds about you. This right is known as a subject access request, and the fee for this is currently £10 per request. You also have the right to prevent processing for the purposes of direct marketing and the right to have any inaccurate data about you corrected.
- want to make a subject access request
- don’t want your details used for direct marketing purposes
- want to exercise any other rights under the Data Protection (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law 2001
- have any other queries about how we use your data, please write to the Data Protection Officer at:
Nordben Life and Pension Insurance Co Limited
St Peter Port
Guernsey GY1 lAP